Khokhlova Elena Vladimirovna, Postgraduate student, Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod (23 Gagarina avenue, Nizhniy Novgorod, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The article examines the biography of Arthur Conan Doyle from the biographical myth theory point of view. The purpose of the research is to identi-fy the major mythologemes and mythemes of the biographical myth of Conan Doyle and their reflection in the novel “Arthur and George”.
Materials and methods. The subject of the study is the biographical myth of Ar-thur Conan Doyle in Julian Barnes’s novel “Arthur & George”. The comparative-typological and analytical methods of research were used in the research.
Results. The article defines the basic terms and concepts: a biographical myth, a mythologeme, a mythema. It also distinguishes the concepts of biographical legend and biographical myth. It overviews different approaches to the biographical myth of Conan Doyle in non-fiction, fiction and cinema.
Conclusions. The analysis of the biographical myth of Arthur Conan Doyle in Julian Barnes’s novel “Arthur & George” shows the fundamental importance of mythologeme “spiritualism craze” in the novel “Arthur and George” at the ideolo-gical level of the novel, despite the fact that in terms of the plot the mythologeme “a mystery Great-Wirley” and the mifema “a consulting detective” appear to be dominant ones.
biography, biographical myth, biographical legend, mythologeme, mifema, Arthur Conan Doyle, Julian Barnes, “Arthur and George”.
1. Shemetova T. B. Biograficheskiy mif o Pushkine v russkoy literature sovetskogo i postsovetskogo periodov: avtoref. dis. d-ra filol. nauk [The biographical myth about Pushkin in the Russian literature of the Soviet and post-Soviet periods: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the doctor of philological sciences]. Moscow, 2011, 50 p.
2. Tomashevskiy B. V. Kniga i revolyutsiya [The book and the revolution]. 1923, no. 4 (28), pp. 6–9.
3. Nikitina O. E. Biograficheskiy mif kak literaturovedcheskaya problema: na materiale russkogo roka: dis. kand. filol. nauk [The biographical yth as a philological problem: by the material of the Russian rock music: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of philological sciences]. Tver, 2006, 309 p.
4. Virolaynen M. N. Legendy i mify o Pushkine: sb. st. [Legends and myths about Pushkin: collected articles]. Ed. by M. N. Virolaynen (Institut russkoy literatury (Pushkinskiy Dom) RAN). Saint-Petersburg, 1999, pp. 329–349.
5. Levi-Stross K. Mifologiki: v 4 t. [Mythologics: in 4 vlumes]. Moscow; Saint-Petersburg: Universitetskaya kniga, 2000, vol. 1, 390 p.
6. Chertanov M. Konan Doyl. Moscow: Molodaya gvardiya, 2008, 592 p.
7. The Menagerie (series). Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Menagerie_(series) (accessed March 24, 2015).
8. Barns D. Artur i Dzhordzh [Arthur and George]. Moscow: AST: AST MOSKVA: KhRANITEL'', 2007, 479 p.
9. Barnes J. Arthur & George. London: Vintage, 2006, 508 p.
10. Meletinskiy E. M. Poetika mifa [Poetics of myths]. Moscow: Akademicheskiy Proekt, 2012, 336 p.
11. Pirson Kh., Karr Dzh. D. Artur Konan Doyl [Arthur Conan Doyle]. Moscow: Kniga, 1989, 320 p.
12. Karr Dzh. D., Pirson Kh. Artur Konan Doyl [Arthur Conan Doyle]. Moscow: Kniga, 1989, 320 p.
13. Timenchik M. D. Artur Konan Doyl [Arthur Conan Doyle]. Moscow: Kniga, 1989, 320 p.